claim

History – Wimmis

1848/49
Transfer of the powder monopoly to the Swiss federal government; the Powder Authority passes under control of the Finance Department.

1852
The federal government buys the black powder mill at Worblaufen near Bern.

1887
The Powder Authority is reassigned to the Federal Department of Defence (EMD).

1889/91
Reengineering of the Worblaufen black powder mill for production of smokeless powder (nitrocellulose propellant powder).

1893
Organization of the “Kriegspulverfabrik Worblaufen”, a military gunpowder factory, as an independent government entity.

1917/19
Construction of the federally owned Wimmis P-F powder factory (nitrocellulose and nitrocellulose propellant powder).

1951/55
Expansion of plant capacity (nitro-glycerine and nitro-glycerine propellant powder).

ab 1987
Partial renewal of the oldest production facilities commences.

1990
Start of a sharp decline in EMD orders; the possibility of expanding into adjacent (civil) fields is examined.

1995
P+F, M+FA und M+FT are merged to form SM Schweizerische Munitionsunternehmung. P+F becomes SM’s new Powder & Charges division.

1998
Cooperation begins with Rheinmetall Industrie AG-owned WNC-Nitrochemie GmbH of Aschau, Germany.
The Powder & Charges division of SM Schweizerische Munitionsunternehmung AG Wimmis) and WNC Nitrochemie GmbH (Aschau) are merged to form the new company Nitrochemie AG, headquartered in Wimmis.

  • Nitrochemie Wimmis AG

    Niesenstrasse 44
    3752 Wimmis
    Switzerland
    Phone: +41 33 228 10 00
    Fax: +41 33 228 13 30