claim

History – Aschau

1938
Dynamit Nobel AG establishes a plant in Aschau am Inn in Bavaria for the production of nitrocellulose.

1953
Wasag-Chemie AG in Essen founds WNC Nitrochemie GmbH; the former nitrocellulose factory goes back into operation. At first, only nitrocellulose (guncotton) for lacquer, celluloid and dynamite is produced.

1955/56
Establishment of a production facility for mono-base propelling powder, as well as a research and development unit for double- and triple-base propelling powders.

1959
Full-scale production of mono-base propelling powder commences.

1964
The Aschau plant commences the series production of multiple-base propelling powders, as well as the loading of explosives into shells and demolition charges.

1968
WNC Nitrochemie begins manufacturing chemical intermediates for civilian industry.
By taking over the remaining 25-percent-share in the company, Wasag-Chemie AG of Essen becomes the sole owner of Nitrochemie.

1975
A pilot plant is established at the company for developing and producing combustible cartridge components; full-scale production commences in 1980.

1977
Wasag carries out additional restructuring measures: Wasag-Chemie GmbH is dissolved; a new company, WNC Nitrochemie GmbH, is formed from the units in Aschau serving the chemicals and defence technology sectors.

1991
At WNC Nitrochemie, pilot lot production of diglycol stick powder commences, developed for use in the multipurpose ammunition for the 120 mm smoothbore gun of the Leopard 2 main battle tank.

1992
Rheinmetall Industrie GmbH acquires a 70-percent-interest WNC Nitrochemie GmbH.

Construction of a biological wastewater treatment facility begins.

1994
Effective January 1st 1994, WNC Nitrochemie becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Rheinmetall.

The company wins certification under DIN ISO 9001.

1996
Series production of the Modular Propelling Charge System (MTLS) commences.

1998
Rheinmetall Industrie AG – owned WNC Nitrochemie GmbH of Aschau and the "Powder & Charges" division of SM Schweizerische Munitionsunternehmung AG of Wimmis, Switzerland, are merged to form the new Nitrochemie AG, headquartered in Wimmis. The Aschau plant has since traded under the name Nitrochemie Aschau GmbH.

2001
The company enters a strategic partnership with a Royal Ordnance Defence Ltd. unit in Filton, England, becoming the sole supplier of multiple-base powder and combustible components to Britain's most important ammunition manufacturer.

2002
The commissioning of a new process-supported production facility marks the conclusion of the "Chemical Production" expansion programme.

  • Nitrochemie Aschau GmbH

    Liebigstraße 17
    84544 Aschau am Inn
    Germany
    Phone: +49 8638 68-0
    Fax: +49 8638 68-375